In the land of Brussels...

Posted by Jimmy | | Posted on 10:25 AM

Photo taken from http://bebetterblog.tumblr.com/
Sprouts!!  


When it comes to veggies, I like to keep it simple K-I-S-S.  Asian style stir fry!   Some people like to add some kinda cured/salty/smoked pork product to help with the veggie, but I find that it just a way to mask the true flavors of the vegetables.   Truly, if you enjoy eating something you want the properties of whatever it is to shine. You never want to over complicate good food. 

In the case of Brussels sprouts, I find the mild bitterness and sweetness of the sprouts refreshing when paired with a strong gamey flavor of lamb.  To me, it's a perfect combination.   Combine that with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and it's heavenly.  It was a big hit at my Christmas party.  Here's my recipe for simple sprouts!

Brussel Sprouts, Halved
Chopped Garlic
Olive Oil
Kosher or Sea Salt


Directions:  heat a pot of water to boil and add some salt.  Blanche the sprouts for 1 minute.  While the sprouts are blanching, heat up 1 table spoon of olive oil on high heat in a saute pan.  When the oil is hot toss a table spoon of garlic like you would stir-fry.   Scoop out the sprouts with a net or a slotted spoon and add to the saute pan.  Add salt to taste and stir fry until you get slight caramelizing on the sprouts.   If you have a lot of sprouts make sure you stir fry in batches.   Crowding the pan will make caramelizing the sprouts difficult.  I would say at most half a pound of sprouts per batch.

The texture should still be slightly al dente in the middle and soft on the outside.  

Enjoy and stay cooking!

-Jimmy

Comments (2)

Mmmmmm. I'm gonna make it!

Awesome, Let me know how it comes out!

Post a Comment