Eggs Benedict

Posted by Jimmy | | Posted on 7:34 PM

When I go out to get breakfast, one of the ways I measure if the restaurant is good is how well they make their eggs benedict.  If they don't have eggs benedict?  Well then they're not even my radar!  Any restaurant can scramble an egg and slap some bacon on and toast some bread. 

I've made poached eggs before and I've made hollandaise sauce before.  Why have I never put them together to make eggs benedict? Today, I make my own eggs benedict.

I begin by making a classic hollandaise sauce.   I found a sauce by Tyler Florence online and just altered it slightly by adding more lemon.  I love lemon.  The original can be found here.

I start with a double boiler and:
  4 Egg Yolks
  1/2 Cup of Melted unsalted Butter
  Pinch of salt
  Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
                                                            Juice of one small lemon (about 2 tbsp)

First I add the eggs, salt and cayenne pepper into a metal bowl.  I whisked them together over a double boiler.  When dealing with eggs on a double boiler, you never want the water to actually come to a boil.  You want the water to look like seltzer water. 

Once the egg mixture starts to thicken, I added the melted butter.  Keep whisking over the hot water until the orange of the egg yolks become a light yellow and thicken even more.   Add in lemon juice and taste.  Add any seasonings you feel are lacking.

Next I worked on my poached eggs.

When poaching eggs it's important to use fresh eggs and never let the water come to a rolling boil.  As with the double boiler, seltzer water is how the water should look when adding your eggs.

In the pan is 4 cups of water and 1/4 cup of Vinegar.  The vinegar helps the eggs coagulate quickly as it hits the water.  After the egg has been cooking for a little bit, move the egg slightly to make sure the bottom does not stick to the pan.  Cook for 3-5 minutes depending on how well you like your eggs done.




Start with some lightly toasted
English muffins

Add the Canadian Bacon and
Poached Egg
 
Let's add some sauce and
sprinkle some paprika!


Finish with a fruit garnish and you have a delicious meal any time of the day!  I just had them for dinner!

Tip:  Since you're using just the egg yolk for the sauce, you can save the egg white in the freezer for many different applications.




Comments (4)

That looks amazing and super simple...I think I'm going to try it this Saturday! Thanks Jimmy~

Sound great Merisa, Let me know how it turns out!

my poached eggs never come out as nice as those...

Emily, You may want to add more vinegar to the water. It helps the eggs stay together when you poach them.

Post a Comment